Last night I decided it was time I get around to trying a new recipe. My evenings have been so busy recently and I’ve been relying on quick, convenient foods to get by. But with a full night at home and a short to-do list, I decided to take time to make a new recipe: Chicken Alfredo Lasagna. Oh My Goodness Yum! It took me a while to put this together, but it was completely worth it.
This recipe caught my attention because it was made in a loaf pan. I’m the only one in my household, and I’m not a huge fan of leftovers, so this was the perfect amount for me. My brother and his girlfriend stopped by for lunch today and we finished it off – so easily 4 servings although it says 3.
The ingredients were pretty basic of lasagna, just swapping white sauce for red, and chicken for the beef. The recipe, as written, did call for mushrooms, but I’m not a fan of them, so didn’t include them. Although I had time to make this dish, I rarely use raw onions and garlic in my dishes. Instead, I used some minced onion and previously minced garlic. I don’t like food waste, so these let me get the amount I need without having the remaining onion or cloves left over.
I started off by getting a pot of water boiling and cooking the noodles. While that was in process I cut up the chicken and started cooking that. While these two things were cooking, I also managed to get the cheese/egg mixture put together. A lot of moving pieces with these recipes, but each step is fairly simple.
So, are you hungry now? Well, here is the recipe as it read:
Alfredo Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing YIELD:3 servings
- 6 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Alfredo sauce
- 3/4 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, mushrooms and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in Alfredo sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, egg, Italian seasoning and parsley.
- Spread 1/2 cup Alfredo mixture in an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Layer with two noodles (trimmed to fit pan), half of the cottage cheese mixture, half of the remaining Alfredo mixture and 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 3 servings.